KryoFlux

#41 Sun Aug 29, 2021 15:27 | Re: KryoFlux
Flyers80
VIP

OK, since they are almost identical I don't see the reason to upload my dump.

#42 Thu Sep 2, 2021 19:35 | Re: KryoFlux
DesertFOX
Administrator

Hey guys,

to be perfectly honest: I am a confused. I was playing a bit with the HxC Floppy Emulator software and was visualizing a few KryoFlux streams.

Usually, a disk looks like this (3.5" HD, 80 tracks per side, 18 sectors):

But, there's quite a different appearance here:

It looks like some tracks are incomplete, but .. no .. it's all there .. 1440 sectors per side, all valid. And there's no disk based copy protection as well. I just don't get it what I am seeing here. Is this real or just a visualization error?

P.S. Just to make sure, I just dumped that particular disk again on several drives. Always the same result.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe" - Carl Sagan

Edited by DesertFOX on Thu Sep 2, 2021 20:07

#43 Fri Sep 3, 2021 16:40 | Re: KryoFlux
Flyers80
VIP

what dump is it?
It will probably be an HXC bug.

#44 Fri Sep 3, 2021 16:52 | Re: KryoFlux
DesertFOX
Administrator

Posted by Flyers80 on Fri Sep 3, 2021 16:40
what dump is it?
It will probably be an HXC bug.

That's the first disk of "Descent". It's working, perfectly playable and the file system is untouched. So I am also not thinking this is really an issue with the image.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe" - Carl Sagan
#45 Mon Sep 6, 2021 23:11 | Re: KryoFlux
DesertFOX
Administrator

I was asked to give a very brief introduction how to convert KryoFlux raw streams into binary img images. Well, here it is... it's in German and it was kinda late at night, so please apologize the experience. I hope it's still useful for some.

Good night everyone!

#46 Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:36 | Re: KryoFlux
Flyers80
VIP

For those interested, I publish the profiles I use in DTC to create / convert disk images

https://mega.nz/file/n9cUmRaJ#ucDKMzPvsIlRHlWzshbuEZ41IoLeaz3NGCCq_muuoZo

You need to copy the file in this folder: \Users\<USERNAME>\.kryoflux

#47 Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:42 | Re: KryoFlux
DesertFOX
Administrator

Very cool! I will use that! :-)

#48 Fri Sep 24, 2021 22:55 | Re: KryoFlux
DesertFOX
Administrator

I wish I had some better equipment analysing this stuff.. maybe a decoder osciloscope.... but here's something I found quite interesting today:

I was dumping several new disks for our library today, when I ran into these slightly damaged tracks:

Luckily, about half of the damaged tracks here are occuring on free space (0xF6) anyway, so it's not as bad as it looks. But, there were also a few unlucky files. Looking at these files (.EXE binaries), I compared them with another .img version of an identical disk. The "damage", that occured, was a simple bit-switch from 0 to 1 ... changing a 2 (0010) to a 6 (0110). That was then what caused the sector hash to produce a faulty result in the end leading to a red "damaged" track. I'd love to see what exactly causes these errors during the MFM decoding. Probably some out-of-range voltage levels or a wrongly detected flux transition because of errors in the disk's magnetic material.

To me, this is what is so exciting about floppy disks and their preservation. You can actually quite easily see what is happening here on a technical, physical level. Loving it!

2020-2022 © RetroBytes.eu